January 6, 2011

Man Thanks to Those taking time to Read Anything I Write.

As a blogger it's easy to feel like you're just writing to yourself so any time someone even gives a small nod to let you know another human saw what you did makes it worthwhile. I notice I have a problem with consistency no matter how well intentioned I am or how much I promise to write. It really is a microcosm of how I treat most things in my life. I have a lot of extreme feelings and I derive pleasure from things by wringing every last drop it has to offer then leaving it for dead. I don't really feel guilty over that since life is full of so much material to eviscerate that I will never run out.

The way that translates into my writing habits is that for short spurts i will be brimming with ideas, strong emotions, and intense desire to express that mental location while i have the mental wherewithal to do it justice.

Due to my well known proclivity to surface and bombard people with my current mind-state only to dissapear and not be heard from for months by anyone, I felt obligated to lay out enough content to busy someone during my periods of absence. The side benefit of that is if any soul is noble enough to actually take on the recommended material, I will eventually have someone to talk to and glean the gems produced by a capable mind plowing through the same topics that lead me to write or think whatever came out. I spend most of my life feeling very distant, even from the people that i consider close just because none of them have the time or mental tools to put in the work required to just have a casual philosophical chat with me. Not to say I'm above those people by any means, just that they are not playing with the same ideas as me so I just continue on my way and occasionally one of you beautiful blog readers will bless me by reading something i recommended or watching something that moved me.

For me the greatest emotion is being understood. Now that's not to say just reading the same books as me or watching the same lectures means you understand me. You could do all those things and still not cause me to feel understood. But when a person hits that more subtle level where they can see why I think what I think and appreciate it as well as generate thoughts of their own that resonate with me when I hear them.

This blog post is not very content heavy because it was just meant as a thank you for anyone who read anything on this blog. Taylor, if you were my only reader the blog is worth it to me since you are one of the only souls on earth who follow through and pursue the things that inspire me. I'm prone to depression at times, and I get really caught up in the plights of people suffering around the world, but your comments on each blog post are one of the only things in my life that actually put a dent in my negative outlook. I love getting high and playing games and other meaningless distractions but knowing another person is really reading through my list of links and inspirations is like getting a check for a thousand bucks.

I would especially like to thank you for checking out The Ascent of Humanity, I did it through the audio version too and I've never been so moved by any peice of writing. The book is like every single conclusion and semi-formed notion about existence that i've ever felt a conviction about and written in a respectable, intelligent, clear and powerful way. I place it above any religious text man has produced and I dare to say that it basically is my religion. Humanism perfected. The amount of things I dissagreed with probably doesnt even fill a page. Listening to Lyn Garry read some of the passages with unembarassed passion brought me tears of my own at times. More than once I burst out in tears on public transportation.

tay if you get time I'd love to hear which stuff from my last list you were able to explore and what you felt about them. and any of you who I don't know who found anything here you liked I'd love to hear from you as well.

just to add flavor to this post here's a pic

6 comments:

  1. You know, eviscerate is one of those words you don't hear nearly as often as you should, and I'd like to personally thank you for reminding me it exists.
    In case you were wondering, and in case you haven't already read them yourself, the two sequels to the straw men are very much worth the time and whatever meagre costs it takes to read them. Just finished Blood of Angels yesterday. I just freaking love the way that guy writes. It's like every fart of a thought I could ever hope to have worded eloquently and transformed into something haunting, profound, and fucking hilarious all at once, and somehow all in context of something murderously delicious. So to you, good sir, an overdue thank you for making me aware of Michael Marshall (Smith).
    That being accomplished, I've started listening to the first few Unwelcome Guests episodes which are so far, very worthy of the attention it takes to listen. I've only listened to one and two halves episodes and admittedly 532 two-hour episodes (that's 1064 hours, or something like 2 years, 11 months if I listen for an hour a day consistently) is a daunting undertaking, but since i just (before continuing this sentence from the most previous comma) learned that the average American spends 28 hours a week watching TV, which contains almost no substance whatsoever, points to the fact that this is a very long sentence and i've forgotten if I had an explicit point to make with it. Nevertheless! Few things in the world of media are worth any time at all (statistically rounding, I'd argue nothing is), and yet you've somehow managed to glean from that an immense library of worthy material for someone like me with only occasional bouts of patience to enjoy. That's worth something to me.
    I'm thinking I'll comment again with some topical substance when I finish listening to Michael Perenti's 17-part lecture on the world trade organization.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im responding to your answers way after you've written them but I don't feel that diminishes anything we're covering. what is time anyway. If neither of us are weilding against the other as a sort of guilt weapon superiority sheild then time really is just a greater expanse of passed life during which we've accumulated even more experience to relate to one another. I just now came up with that and i think it sounds profound. I may be wrong or corny or something but I like that notion I just emitted.

    Tay I want to take a minute now to circumvent what I fear I might end up doing a lot and waste time which is constantly slather you with thanks for truely engaging with the material that I care about so much. It means so much to me that I could waste every correspondance with me being fluttery about that. Just take the knowledge that however deeply greatful you feel for the stuff (and the friendship) I propose that I feel as equally touched (if not more, but i could never prove that). also thanks for putting up with my souls inability to stick to a routine when it comes to creative output or emotional bonding. i cant say, hey i'll do updates each week. personally that has seeds of dishonestly and fakeness planted in it and in my estimation that might be where we lose thousands of potential soldiers for the cause of love, justice, reason, and human potentiality. to be successful they have to play by the system and the systems very structure robs you of your integrity at the level of your soul before you even know you lost it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, love the feel of your site. Might you thoughts informing everybody what design you can be by using? So i am novices at this kind of and i am hoping to receive my very own researching just about anywhere close to trendy mainly because one. Thanks much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can be difficult to get knowledgeable individuals for this issue, however you be understood as you no doubt know what you are writing about! With thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts on this kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this website. Studying this information So i am satisfied to show that I've a very good uncanny
    feeling I discovered exactly what I needed. I such a lot indubitably will make certain to don?
    t forget this website and give it a glance on a relentless basis.


    my webpage weightloss camp

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in fact pleased to read this blog posts which carries tons of valuable information, thanks for providing such information.


    Feel free to visit my blog - weight loss

    ReplyDelete

What can i say? The 'Vette gets 'em wet! HAHA